The award winning village of Grayshott nestles amidst beautiful National Trust countryside on the North-East Hampshire, Surrey border.
Grayshott is a great place to live, work and have fun. It’s also a wonderful place to visit, with a traditional village pub, renowned pottery, lots of shops and restaurants, free parking, and plenty of interesting things to see and do. We love Grayshott! Please watch the video and browse the links below to find out more, come and see us soon, and we are sure you will love it too.
Fox & Pelican
Grayshott Parish Council
RT @EastHantsDC: *Vacancy - Play practitioner - closes 28 June* Fancy working in a sociable, busy and well supported environment? Channel…
Records show that there was a sparse settlement here from the 12th Century but it was not until the Victorian era 150 years or so ago that we see the emergence of a village.
St. Luke’s Church has passed its centenary, as have the Village Hall, the School, the Fox & Pelican and the laundry building (now Grayshott Pottery). These and many other amenities were created by the generosity of local landowners and have been well supported over the decades by the villagers.
The attractiveness of Grayshott has increased its popularity and has drawn residents, commerce and trade.
Until the railway arrived at nearby Haslemere in 1859, Grayshott, or ‘Graveshotte’ (signifying ‘a clearing in the woods’) was never more than a hamlet of small farms, broomsquires’ cottages and a haunt for notorious brigands.
As recorded in the Domesday Book, Grayshott was within Headley Parish and part of the ‘Waste of the Manor’ of Sutton. Ownership was passed from King Stephen (1135 – 1154) to his brother Henry of Blois, Bishop of Winchester. Later, when that manor was divided, Grayshott became part of the Manor of Wishanger. ‘Wakeners Wells’ (now known as Waggoners Wells), was created in the 17th century by the Hooke family of Bramshott. Some traces of this early period remain in the broomsquires cottages of Stoney Bottom and Whitmore Vale, in the outlines of holding pens for livestock along the drovers’ road in Stoney Bottom and in dry sandstone walls and boundary banks. The sites of some original farms are known: for example Grayshott Farm and Bull’s Toft, now known as Grayshott Hall and The Old Farmhouse (Headley Road). Many of Grayshott’s footpaths and bridleways, so much a feature of the village, were established in those days.